5(2 programmers + 2 artists + 1 sound designer)
A fun-focused virtual world in a week
Joey Yeo, Daryl Choa, Xinyu Wang, Linyao Li
Game design, gameplay programming, playtesting
1. Designed a core game mechanism that applies spatial Phidgets to a foot seesaw and matches the rotation of real seesaw with the plate in the game.
2.Designed different physical material of the food to match bounce and fraction just like that food in the real world so that the world would be more friendly to understand.
3. Designed a rewarding time which will generate foods more frequently and both monsters will open mouth to help move the guest's flow condition to know how well they are doing.
1. Implemented the scoreboard function so that it will save the score and the names of guests for guests who win the top 5 scores with Unity playerprefs API. And use pictures of numbers to maintain the cartoon game theme.
2. Implemented the function to generate food in a random position and random frequency by combining the curve function API with the instantiate API.
3. Implemented the function that foods' emotion will changes according to different conditions so that the worlds are cuter.
Teeter Feeder is a PC game with the platform Phidgets, where two guests are helping each other balancing seesaws to move(player1) and rotate(player2) the plate to feed the monster with foods comes from the sky. Player 1 will have a support to keep balance while player 2 is using more paly 1's body to keep balance, which makes them communicate with each other and rely on each other.
I think the answer of how to make a fun game comes from several points below. First, people prefer to watching others being funny by doing difficult sports like keeping balance. And the ambition to overcome the difficulty will persuade the guest to devote whole awareness into the world which would lead to the feeling of fun. Second, social activities are funny, the more fun guest can get from others, the easier the world could be.
Design Problem:Do not make the game so difficult
In the beginning, we design an easy game. Guest only need to feed food into the mouth of a monster so that they only need to focus on picking up food. While we assumed it would be boring because it is only a repeat process for guest. So we add another monster and the opened mouth will exchange between them. The aim is to make guests busy, while we ignored that they are already busy in control balance. So the game becomes too difficult to enjoy.